Yeram S. Touloukian
Yeram Touloukian believed in the importance of high-quality research and was influential world-wide in the establishment of some of the best research facilities in thermophysical measurements. Born in Istanbul, Turkey, Touloukian earned his bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering before moving to the United States to pursue his master’s degree and Ph.D. After graduating, Touloukian became a Professor at Purdue University, where he developed various new courses in physical thermodynamics and singlehandedly established and directed the Thermophysical Properties Research Center in 1957. Besides teaching and research, Dr. Touloukian is well known for starting new conferences and committees, including the International Journal of Thermophysics, initiated through his constant support and effort. Throughout his career, he has received numerous national and international awards for his exceptional leadership and guidance in Thermophysics research. In 1997, the Yeram S. Touloukian Award was established in his honor to recognize outstanding contributions in the field of thermophysical properties. Touloukian authored and co-authored a large quantity of research papers and technical reports and was the editor and co-editor of 57 volumes of reference books. As a remarkable engineer with broad scientific knowledge, and years of major contributions to the field of thermophysical properties, Yeram Touloukian is undoubtedly considered a pioneer of modern thermal conductivity.
With a lifelong goal of making properly evaluated and documented data on thermophysical and related properties of materials available, Touloukian singlehandedly established the Thermophysical Properties Research Center at Purdue University.
Most Cited Works by Yeram S. Touloukian:
- Touloukian, Y. S., DeWitt, D. P. 1972. Thermal radiative properties: nonmetallic solids. New York: IFI/Plenum.
- Touloukian, Y.S. 1966. Thermophysical Properties of High Temperature Solid Materials. Volume 3. Ferrous Alloys.
- Touloukian, Y.S., Powell, R.W., Ho, C.Y., Klemens, P.G. 1971. Thermophysical Properties of Matter – The TPRC Data Series. Volume 2. Thermal Conductivity – Nonmetallic Solids.
Selection of Work by Yeram S. Touloukian:
- Touloukian, Y.S., Ho, C.Y. 1970. Thermal expansion. Metallic elements and alloys. Thermophysical properties of matter -The TPRC Data Series. New York: IFI/Plenum.
- Touloukian, Y.S., Kirby, R.K., Taylor, E.R., Lee, T.Y.R. 1977. Thermophysical Properties of Matter – the TPRC Data Series. Volume 13. Thermal Expansion – Nonmetallic Solids. Thermophysical and Electronic Properties Information Analysis Center.
- Hilsenrath, J., Beckett, C.W., Benedict, W.S., Fano, L., Hoge, H.J., Masi, J.F., Nuttall, R.L., Touloukian, Y.S., Woolley, H.W., King, C.V. 1956. Tables of Thermal Properties of Gases. Journal of The Electrochemical Society.
- Touloukian, Y.S., Dewitt, D.P., Hernicz, R.S. 1972. Thermal radiative properties: Coatings. United States: NASA.
- Touloukian, Y.S. 1977. Thermal Expansion. Nonmetallic solids, Thermophysical properties of matter, 13(244).