With research interests in the areas of energy and heat transfer, Dr. Akira Nagashima is known for his active role in the field of thermal conductivity. As the former executive director of international affairs at Yokohama National University, Nagashima is a member of several scientific committees, including the international organizing committee of the European Conference on Thermophysical Properties, an executive member of the Asian Thermophysical Properties Conference, and the President of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. Currently, Dr. Nagashima is an Emeritus Professor at Keio University in Tokyo, Japan. In 2000, he was awarded the Y.S. Touloukian Award to recognize his outstanding technical contributions in the field of thermophysical properties. Chairman of the 1st PUL meeting, Nagashima helped to establish the Port-City University League to form collaborations of innovative research and education base for institutions around the world. With numerous patents and scientific publications to his name, Dr. Akira Nagashima is regarded as a pioneer of thermal conductivity.
Most Cited Works by Akira Nagashima:
- Ramires, M.L.V., Nieto de Castro, C.A., Nagasaka, Y., Nagashima, A., Assael, M.J., Wakeham, W.A. 1995. Standard Reference Data for the Thermal Conductivity of Water. Journal of Physical and Chemical Reference Data, 24 (3).
- Assael, M.J., Kakosimos, K., Banish, R.M., Brillo, J., Egry, I., Brooks, R., Quested, P.N., Mills, K.C., Nagashima, A., Sato, Y., Wakeham, W.A. 2006. Reference Data for the Density and Viscosity of Liquid Aluminum and Liquid Iron. Journal of Physical and Chemical Reference Data, 35(1): 285.
- Santos, F.J.V., Nieto de Castro, C.A., Dymond, J.H., Dalaouti, N.K., Assael, M.J., Nagashima, A. 2006. Standard Reference Data for the Viscosity of Toluene. Journal of Physical and Chemical Reference Data, 35(1).
Selection of Work by Akira Nagashima:
- Ramires, M.L.V., Nieto de Castro, C.A., Perkins, R.A., Nagasaka, Y., Nagashima, A., Assael, M.J., Wakeham, W.A. 2000. Reference Data for the Thermal Conductivity of Saturated Liquid Toluene Over a Wide Range of Temperatures. Journal of Physical and Chemical Reference Data, 29 (2): 133.
- Kikugawa, Y., Nagashima, A., Sakamoto, T., Miyazawa, E., Shiiya, M. 2003. Intramolecular Cyclization with Nitrenium Ions Generated by Treatment of N-Acylaminophthalimides with Hypervalent Iodine Compounds: Formation of Lactams and Spiro-Fused Lactams. The Journal of Organic Chemistry, 68(17): 6739-6744.
- Abe, Y., Oka, T., Mori, Y.H., Nagashima, A. 1994. Pool boiling of a non-azeotropic binary mixture under microgravity. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 37(16): 2405-2413.